Re: New Product Name?? -- Why?

James Besser writes:

>Alas, new generations of writer not schooled in the pleasures of the
>command line seem to WANT the glittery promises of Windoze based word
>processors with all the b ells and whistles. I've been through this
>argument
>many times with young colleagues; they want WP for Windows, or MSW,
>because they can't live without the mouse and the endless dialogue boxes
>that drive me to distraction.

It sounds like we're pretty much in agreement [ of course, the rest are all
wrong! :-) ]

Perhaps the choice of word processors is something like the imprinting of
ducklings on the first object they see after hatching: luckily it's usually
their mother.  The reason I first used XyWrite (Release II) was that I had
no choice. My editors insisted. Period.  So I learned the command line
interface.

I've tried perhaps five other products since that time (and I'd used
WordStar 1.03 before that time), but I keep coming back to XyWrite as the
most flexible, powerful, and comfortable way to write. Yes, I think a
strictly text-oriented WP is a niche product nowadays, but XyW fills that
niche better than anything else. I'd be happy to pay TTG $200 for a
bug-free version 3.55, even though I already have the slightly-flawed one.

_Peter

Peter Feldmann		*	Blue Dalmatian Productions
feldmann@xxxxxxxx