Re: logica and intelligence

> there is a discussion in XYWWWEB.TXT (the
> instruction file bundled with U2) of some recommended settings.
> NW=3 isn't among them, because NW=0 doesn't "conflict" with U2:
> the vast majority of U2 routines

All! One hesitates to flatly say there are no "omissions", but by design it is
all.

> trap the "No window" error, regardless of the default NW setting, and
> open a new window if necessary. However, common sense (not to mention
> personal sanity) dictates NW=3 for most if not all purposes.

NW=1 is my setting. That works almost identically with NW=3, except that it
doesn't abort and replace directory displays in the same window when you point
at and CAll a file within that directory display. Personal preference. NW=2
is, to me, a dumb setting: it doesn't auto-close a window when you ABort the
current file. What good is that?

The only settings that are flatly incompatible with U2 are for ErrorHelp and
Command Override: both must be turned OFF. A line like this, at the end of
STARTUP.INT, accomplishes that:

BX d eh=0Q2 BX oxQ2 ;*;

Both those settings are, in fact, the system defaults. If you have not changed
them, you are OK. The problem is, how many people really _know_ whether
"they've done something" to a default? Often they changed it in 1992. Other
times they changed it at an advisor's behest: didn't understand it then, don't
understand it now.

In U2 v116, there will be a sniffer program that looks at some of the most
important defaults, and suggests alternative values if the current ones are
wacky (or incompatible with U2) -- in fact, it writes a little program in a
window, which you can, at your option, save and run (and/or modify) to
auto-make those changes, for the current session. You'd still have to adjust
SETTINGS.DFL to make the changes permanent, but at least this program tells you
what they are. Probably going to be called SETUP.

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx