xydos4 screen freeze

My screen in xydos4.018 (win98) just froze. Can't toggle
between cmline and text, no cursor available, mouse and
 and  accomplish nothing.

I was using ch on the cmline, hit  with no result,
hit  with no result, realized the screen was frozen.
I was using back rather than forward slashes as separators,
but would that matter?

This is the second time xy froze on me in recent weeks.
Can't remember what I was doing the first time it happened.

Everything else--web, email, excel--is working.

1. is there some trick to get out of this or do I have to
reboot?

2. any idea what might have caused it?

thanks for any ideas

Judith Davidsen