.pif vs. lnk

Along with my general confusion about .pif and .lnk, per my previous post,
I don't understand why setting the screen length under "Layout" in one DOS
program affects all other DOS programs. In particular, I want a 43 line
page-length for Xy but a 25 line page-length for other DOS
programs--notably 4DOS.COM. But setting either one seems to change the
setting for the other. On the other hand, I can indeed have a separate
setting for the shortcut that calls CMD.EXE.
And is there any difference between a shortcut on the desktop and that same
shortcut when pulled down into the Quick Launch area?

Confusedly,
Harry

Harry Binswanger
hb@xxxxxxxx