Re: Tame con't

Michael,
At 02:00 PM 4/12/2006, Harry Binswanger wrote:
3. Right click in text area: brings up the same menu as (2) but now "Color Change" does bring up its own dialogue box of color settings. But there doesn't seem to be any effect of using "Color Change"--it lets you define a custom color, but so what?
Okay, progress. Now, call up those two dialogs again, then View-->Color
Adjustment-. Click, *Reset to defaults.*
Sorry to be dense, but I don't know what you mean by "call up those two
dialogs again, then View..." There is only one dialog box on the screen at
a time, and there's no "View" in sight.
This should instantly return to the background to XY's original cerulean blue background. Now, pick a color from the *Basic colors* group of colors and click on it. That color will appear in the larger box marked *color* which is to the left of the three temperature value boxes. Use the slider to adjust it. Click *Add to custom colors.* Now go to the two rows of custom colors and highlight (click) on the color you have just created. Now, to finish, click *okay.* And the color should instantly take effect. When you quit XY TAME will automatically save that setting for you.

Can't try any of the above till I know where "View" is.
After I redefined MD NM to 240 in SETTINGS.DFL, I have a beautiful text area in Tame-Xy. And for some inexplicable reason, things seem better behaved after using your batch-file approach to loading Tame for Xy use.
Okay, here's what D. Thomas said about the difference in behavior between
a .lnk to TAME and a .pif. (Remember, if you created a shortcut to (from)
the .bat file, you are ipso facto creating a .lnk
Oh, oh. I knew my ignorance of .lnk vs. .pif was going to come back and
bite me sooner or later. I have a desktop shortcut that launches XY.BAT,
which has:
C:\PROGRA~1\Tame\Tame-nt.com
C:\xy\Editor.exe /e4000

Is a desktop shortcut a .lnk or .pif? How do you make one vs. the other?
and TAME, according to DT, wants a .pif. David Thomas writes: *Actually, a lnk is treated differently by Tame. In efect, tame will always see the _default.pif, and you will lose the ability for shortcut specific settings.* I get part of that, but not all of it. Main, point, use the .pif; simply create that shortcut to editor.exe
Isn't that what I did? I created the desktop shortcut by right clicking on
an empty part of the desktop, then doing New/Shortcut. That brings up one
of those damnable wizards, which allows me to finish creating the shortcut.
 then in the cmd line put [XY].bat.

In brackets, as above?
David also said this: *With the latest update, create a tame.ini file in the settings folder, and use the following so Tame wil mo load with dos apps wiyth no pif:

[_default.pif]
EnableTame=F

He lost me a bit here, but what the heck, try it.
Am I right that, at least when the .PIF launches a .BAT file, the "Fonts" setting in the .PIF is irrelevant?

Superfluous perhaps because you have a lot more choices in the TAME console.
2. The ctrl-J doesn't work regardless of the settings of delays in Xywrite.app.tam. I can change the speed at which characters are output, but not get it do realize that the ctrl key is still being held down.
Okay, so we're really down to this anomaly, right. Did you send David a
note about this?
Not yet. I do observe that playing around with the delay settings means I
sometimes get numbers put out, instead of cursor movements, when I hold
down the arrow keys.
My current (semi-random) settings are:
/TameConsole
    KeyRepeat1=30  ; group 1 - cursor movement
    KeyRepeat2=5  ; group 2 - text
    KeyRepeat3=5  ; group 3 - Ctl-cursor keys, Tab
    KeyRepeat4=150 ; group 4 - Page up/down, Enter
    KeyRepeat5=500 ; group 5 - Other keys
What's your key assignment for ctrl-j. I'll try it.

Table=CTRLX
36=ll

Hm. I put LL in

TABLE=
101=LL
I duplicated your key call and the result was: the cursor backspaced instead of going to the end of the line, as it should.
First of all, try it on ctrl-j (36 in Table=CTRLX). Second, LL should
indeed go left (i.e., backwards).
And I already do have 101=LL. Now, with the Thomas-suggested setting for
_default.PIF, I get VERY slow cursor movement. Plus, numbers instead of
cursor movement when I hold the arrow keys down. Very puzzling.
Harry, perhaps the problem is that particular assignment in TAME, which is to say asking a letter key to accomplish cursor movement. Try my assignment and see what happens.

See above. Still no relief in sight. Does Dave Thomas take phone calls?

Harry Binswanger
hb@xxxxxxxx