Re: Help!

** Reply to message from MargDelG@xxxxxxxx on Tue, 15 Oct 2002 09:59:45 EDT

> I like my Xywrite screen to be electric
> blue with white letters.

In Xy4DOS, the commands you would want are BG and FG, BackGround/ForeGround.
Both commands take three values: the amount of Red,Green,Blue to apply (set
the colors you don't care about to 0 while you're experimenting) The range is
0-255. I don't have XyWin on this machine, so what follows is guesswork,
but... I'll pontificate anyway. The XyWin default for FG is, I think, 0,0,0 =
black type; BG default is 255,255,255 = white background. Since these are both
defaults *and* immediate commands (affecting the current doc only), you can
mess around with them by embedding FG and BG values in text, until you get what
you like, e.g.:

≪BG0,0,255≫

ought to give you a blue background. White letters would be something like
≪FG255,255,255≫. You can also use the DYe command to get
foregound,background color effects, but (unlike the 16+ million potential
combos of FG/BG) your choices are more limited, about 16 primary colors
(range=0-15) -- e.g. ≪DY1,13≫ (13=white in the old ANSI color scheme of the
80s; 1=blue). I don't remember whether that fully worked in XyWin or not.

Here's the rub: I may be all wet, but I seem to recall that background "color"
commands in XyWin simply gave you varying degrees of gray scale(?) -- check
that out. Or else, hmmm, maybe not that but rather something else that was
flaky, e.g. maybe FG|BG only affected the current line. Darned if I can
remember. But easy enough to verify if you just play with it a bit using
volatile embedded commands. When you find the colors you like, set them as the
system defaults on startup. Make sure you set your background to something
dark before you toggle your text to white (else you won't be able to see
anything, obviously).

Let us know what, if anything, works!

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx