Re: Plain Text Email

** Reply to message from Harry Binswanger  on
Fri, 17 Aug 2007 01:28:45 -0400

> Eudora
> >kept sticking "pop3" after the one user name and "mail" after the other.

Did you try it? Does it work? Nothing unusual about this:
priscamg@xxxxxxxx IS (often) a synonym for your incoming
address -- it just usually isn't stated that way -- depends on
the getmail/sendmail programs at the servers. But Harry's
right: if it doesn't work, edit Eudora.ini until it does work.

There are lots of Email progs that meet your requirements. I
have suggested Polarbar in the past -- it is Java and hence
cross-platform. All Emails are text based, and located in a
known directory, and above all there is zero possibility of
opening up some malicious email (unless you consciously do it),
and several ways to inspect email texts passively to look for
dangerous code -- to me, that's crucial. Polarbar is my primary
Email app. No IMAP.

For ultra-text-based methods, to Carl's Hacksaw/Febootimail
combo I would add my even-more-basic Rexx GETMAIL|SENDMAIL cmd
scripts, which I run right out of XyWrite. I use them both
heavily in a news service that I run, because they're totally
adjustable (and open source -- if you don't like the way they
work, you just change them). And all you really need to run
them is Regina Rexx, which is tiny. I shlep these small scripts
around on a memory key all the time -- fetch|send my mail from
anywhere. Plain-text config file. Optional Base64/MIME
authentication. Filters, to store fetched mails in different
directories based on some characteristic in the mails. No IMAP.

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx