Re: Colours

" I have been reading a lot of messages about Nota Bene in our XyWrite
" forum. I am really surprised to see our list is becoming a Nota Bene
" "sublist". No problem for me because I would rather an open list (off
" topic comments are welcome, I think). Anyhow, I would like to make some
" comments.
" XyWrite (or NotaBene for DOS, if it is the case) are my wordprocessor of
" choice because I spend a lot of time in front of my screen thinking and
" writing (other benefits of XyWrite are obvious and I won't insist).
" For hours of suffering in front
" of an empty screen, the black background is mandatory. According to a
" suggestion made by a member of the list, I am using blue letters.
" Am I sick?
" Manuel Castelao
---------
	Not sick, just black and blue. (groan)
	Which makes me wonder if everyone accepts the colours, tings
	and hughs that the programs give you.

	I'm sure that there can be an apochryal quote from
	Bill Gates to "two colors are enough for anyone".

	But the complete control of the colour display of
	XYwrite is one of the major reasons we like it.

	Each mode is a different colour or flash, though
	some might want wysiwyg typefaces, which you have
	to some extent in XY4, Xy3 outputting to Ghostscript, etc.

	XY, and Notabene, are wonderful in the full control
	they have, if we allow ourselves to tinker.

	However XY DOSes won't be much improved
		Good, better, best
		Never let it rest,
		Until the good is better,
		And the better best.
	and we have adapted to its idiosyncracies.
	I remember the steep learning curve and often gave
	up and went back to a combination of Chiwriter and
	PC-Write 2.7 just to get some work done.

	Now I have added to the help screens with my own
	notes, have a batch-file which brings up a page of
	reminders of Xyhints before called EDITOR.EXE,
	and the first screen (editor.exe f:\xydoc\cal.xy)
	is the calender of appointments for the month and to-dos.

	Having XY on three different machines means three
	slightly different setups for files, directories and
	colours. Xy is a good tool and fast and the macros
	and Save-gets, not to mention autocorrection with
	custom.spls for each vocabulary needed do a great
	job of expanding "dh" into "Distefano and Holmgren"
	with no residual thought from the day I put it in the
	xytruble.spl personal dictionary.

	Dull white (as opposed to bright white) on dark grey
	is pleasant on the WinNT screen. On the Dos box I work
	in a monochrome screen, in the OS/2 box (a better DOS
	than DOS) I use bright-yellow on off-white (not yet grey
	until the phosphors die).

	Xywrite, a tool for thought.

						Daniel Say