Help File Bug?

Dear SysOp: Having trouble running the Index in master Help. On both my
childrens' setups (which are essentially factory vanilla, I think) and my own
(much modified, my only access to Help is via "FUNC SH"), when we summon up the
Index we can tab or cursor to the target topic; but upon hitting  with the
cursor in the leftmost column of the topic name, only erratically does the help
frame actually come up. Instead, we get "Application error....."  The VA$ER
numbers aren't consistent; two that I just got were 16722 or 16978. "VN/NV
$HL" shows that Help (XY4.HLP) is loaded. Very frustrating -- and it's been
this way as long as I can remember (just never bothered to ask, but now my kids
need this facility)! Any suggestions?