Re: XyDOS and tildes

On Fri, 2 Jun 2000, James Eibisch wrote:

> Time for a quick de-lurk to ask the good folk of this list a
> question. In my Xy3.55, any tilde characters (ASCII 126) in a
> file only show on screen in expanded mode. I've recently started
> editing documents with many tildes and, while Xy preserves the
> characters and I can work expanded if necessary, I'd like the
> option to edit with an uncluttered screen and still see them. Has
> anyone got a workaround for this?

Xy/NB uses the normal tilde you see in so many files created by other
programs as the character to represent the discretionary hyphen, which
is visible only in expanded mode. You can change this to some other more
obscure character you rarely if ever use; I've changed mine to the
triple-bar equal sign (IBM ASCII 240). The command is DH=
(substitute the character of your choice for xx). Then you should also
change the keyboard combination used to insert discretionary hyphens
manually to this new character code. (Work in expanded mode, of course,
to see that the character is actually entered; it becomes invisible in
normal mode, while the tilde becomes visible.)

	 Dorothy

*****
Dorothy Day
School of Library & Information Science
Indiana University
day@xxxxxxxx
*****

	"He also surfs who only sits and waits."