Re: Description of 3/21/96 Revision to XYOS2SHL.ZIP (for OS/2 XyWriters)

** Reply to note from James Besser  03/25/96 6:00pm
EST

> Will the xyos2 shell allow me to have several OS/2 and DOS apps running
> quietly in the background while running XyWrite full screen--and then, when
> I want to switch to them, use an Xy/Dos keyboard shortcut to switch to an OPEN
> application, not just to open a new one?
>
> In my ideal world, I'd be running XyWrite/Dos full screen and have all my
> regular apps--an OS/2 phone book, the OS/2 IAK, my DOS scheduler--open
> all the time, and switch to them with keystroke combinations.
>
> Thanks

Yes. The package (XYOS2SHL.ZIP) enables SWitching to already-open apps (it
also opens new apps) from XyWrite. SWitch commands for particular apps can
easily be hard-coded in your KeyBoarD file. Suppose, for example, that you
want ready access to the IAK's FTP program. You'd code it as follows in the KBD
file:

 [nn]=NOJM,(,2,.,P,r,s,K,b,d,A,r,g,),s,w, ,F,T,P,-,P,M,NO

PrsKbdArg is the keyboard handler; SW is the SWitch program; FTP-PM is the name of
the application as it appears in the TaskList (Ctrl-Esc). Of course, you can do
the same thing on-the-fly on the CMline (if you don't want to dedicate a key to
this one job):

 sw ftp-pm

The catch is getting *back* to XyWrite! If the target app provides an OS/2
command line, then it's a snap. Just issue:

 sw xy

But I'm not aware that FTP has a command line, so you gotta work your way back
using the tools OS/2 offers, e.g. Ctrl-Esc. Whereas, if you _open_ a fresh
instance of FTP-PM from XyWrite, and then close FTP when you're done, you pop back
to XyWrite automatically.

XYOS2SHL isn't a millenial solution. It's just one more tool in the capacious
OS/2 bag. But it sure can be handy, especially for those who aren't heavy users
of GUIs and want instant access between an OS/2 command line and XyWrite.

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx