Re: A plea for clarity

** Reply to note from auerbach@xxxxxxxx (David Auerbach) Thu, 13 Feb 97 19:29:59 +0000

> ... It wouldn't be hard to write a program that
> when you entered the keystroke it returned the name of the
> "official" function and vice-versa.

David and other func-key people: Robert has written a suite
of programs that do just that, and more. It was publicly
released -- somewhere -- as IFF10.ZIP. I'll attach it to this
message (MIME).

IFF has two PMs -- IDKEY and FINDKEY -- that are just the
ticket for present purposes. IDKEY responds to a keypress by
moving the cursor to the corresponding keyboard file
assignment, either in the currently loaded keyboard file or in
a keyboard file (loaded or not) in the current active text
window. FINDKEY locates instances of a user-supplied
string (funcs, text, whatever) in the same manner. So, for
example, to identify the functions associated with outtadabox
key assignments, you open XY4.KBD, run IDKEY and hit the
desired key. Voila. Clarity, brevity and suavity all rolled
into one.

Freeing us to defy gravity with digressions into levity or
(heaven help us) the depths of depravity--something we seem to
be doing with increasing regularity. Which, of course,is
conducive to hilarity. (Pardon my cirularity.)

Anyway, check out the attachment -- an essential utility.

Carl Distefano * * * CLDistefano@xxxxxxxx