Re: Warning: Trolling for Dollars, Scammers hard at work {was: forged Failure Notice}

** Reply to message from Norman Bauman  on Thu, 17 Jul 2003
10:59:49 -0400

> I would think that PayPal could track the sender down and prosecute them.

Lotsa luck! The Email sent to me reported to a Russian "free mail" server
(hotbox.ru) disguised as a ".net" address.

I reported it, and PayPal confirmed the fraudulent nature, albeit rather
robotically -- a bunch of automatically-generated messages that were eerily
similar to the fake Email ("do not respond to this Email blah blah blah"). So
I sent a cold blast at them, basically saying that a Bank (which they are, they
even issue Visa cards) is negligent to permit usernames identical to
publicly-known Email addresses; and this time a person responded (I think
they've got this angle figured out too: a "Jacqueline", sounding very meek and
helpless, issued a disclaimer masked as an apology).

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx