Warp + XyWrite 4.0 + Orbis: SOLVED?

dkanagy@xxxxxxxx
>Tokyo, Japan
dkanagy@xxxxxxxx

Dan,

I may have solved my problem with Orbis and Xy4 on my Thinkpad
700 laptop, by accident! Normally I start XyWrite by
double-clicking on its icon which has custom settings for
memory, background execution, etc. Two nights ago, I started
XyWrite from the DOS command line window. Surprisingly, I found
that Orbis worked well. No crashes despite several switches of
textbase. I then tried XyWrite through its own icon and
immediately produced an Orbis crash. I then went through the
settings one by one changing the Xy settings to match those in
the DOS window. Nothing helped. I then remembered that I used a
customised autoexec.bat file to start XyWrite. Sure enough, the
default autoexec.bat in the DOS window had one line different.
For some reason I had REM'd out the following line: LOADHIGH
APPEND C:\OS2 ... etc. After taking this line out of the XyWrite
special autoexec.bat I ran Orbis and had no problems! The APPEND
statement may have been the source of a memory conflict with
Orbis. Caveat: I only tested Orbis for a short time, but what
was producing a crash within a few minutes of use before REMing
out the LOADHIGH APPEND suddenly ceased to do so. The next
morning I checked my desktop. It *has* the LOADHIGH APPEND
statement and yet causes no problems. Conclusion: a combination
of laptop and APPEND and Orbis which didn't work together.

I would be interested to hear if this solves your problem.

J.L. Gordon
Dept of Anthropology
University of Western Australia
Nedlands, W.A. 6009, AUSTRALIA