eof revisited, yet again

"How, for heaven's sake, do you save with no eof marker??!! That's just what
I need to do when making HTML files!" --Harry Binswanger

Harry: As my pseudocode indicated, by running an external
utility. You can find one anywhere you dl dos utilities. Mine
happens to have come from CIS; a friend dl'ed it for me years
before I was online. That's how long I've been subject to xyWrite
crossplatform eof problems--i.e., they didn't start with the
explosion of 'net use. Curious, with all that configurability,
that xyDos
4 didn't include a zapper except for eofs that may occur midfile.
As long as an eof is present, no xyWrite file is "pure ascii" if
that's understood to mean ascii >31 and <128. ascii 26 is a
control char and xyWrite has no built-in way to get rid of it.

The problem has come up so many times on this list I'm sending
Nathan the utility I use and my little xpl interface for it, as
candidates for lstsrv@xxxxxxxx. All STRIP.EXE does is
copy a file (arg) to a file of another name (arg) less N (arg)
chars from the beginning or end (arg):
   C:\>strip -e1 filename.ext filename.tmp
I don't know the protocol, etiquette, whatever, for freeware like
this--don't even know who the author is. Only a few lines of code
are involved--I know because I wrote an eof-zapper myself in C,
but feel more comfortable sharing one that's widely circulated.
My xpl front end adds some probably unneeded idiotproofing to
that already present in STRIP.EXE, which Robert, who examined it
under the Holmgrenscope, said, e.g., rejects 0-length files.   --A

========================== annie fisher  nyc