Re: xyW & win98

<< I have had a few more problems getting XyWrite to coexist
with Win98 than I experienced with any version of MS-DOS,
with Windows 3.11 or even the notoriously buggy Win95 first
release. [...] Win98 especially seems to want to handle all
calls to DOS, and goes error-happy when anything tries to
circumvent its control. >> --Jeff
re "Re: Xy4/DOS quirk? ... and Win98 instability"

<< My latest version is 3+[. ...] it does have a problem
running under Windows 98, and I'm hoping there's a fix or
patch to address this-- without buying a newer version
which I don't need anyway. Sometimes, for no reason that I'm
certain of but which seems to be related to typing quickly,
perhaps hitting a certain combination of keys, it freezes
the screen. [...] The only way I've found to recover is to
do a complete reboot. --Pete
re "XY 3+ freezes in Win 98"

You both may--or may not--be able to solve some probs
by copying a more agreeable dos (don't install it of
course, but include command.com) to a new subdir and
with a path statement that specifies that subdir.

My Pentium laptop dual-boots DR-DOS 7.02 and win95 with
a DR-DOS util. Under win95, by loading xyW with a pif->bat
that has a path statement that includes my DR-DOS subdir,
the command shell xyW runs under is DR-DOS. Strange but
true--and entirely unintentional. Don't tell MS. But a
Windows 4dos command shell was or is available (Harry?),
so I guess it's not *that* strange. ... Ciao.
			--right-about-a-lot-of-things annie

	xyWrite 3 supplements !xyWise and !xyWiz +
	Wolfgang Bechstein's seafaring adventures: