RE: Xy4 & Network printer

Reply to note from "Ambos, Paul"  Thu, 18 May 2000
13:57:26 -0400

Thanks to Peter Brown and Paul Ambos for tips on sending a Xy4 print
job to a Novell network printer. Unfortunately, I've not been able
to get it to work -- yet.

I don't have the Xy4 LAN Administrator's Guide. (Incidentally, my
network is a WAN, not a LAN; don't know whether that makes a
difference.) Paul, could you give me a concrete example of what the
PP: table in SETTINGS.DFL should look like? My current table looks
like this:

PP:4
LPT1	D:\XY4\C\HPLJ-2P.PRN	HP LaserJet IIP
LPT1	D:\XY4\C\CLD4-PS.PRN PostScript via GoScript (35 fonts)
LPT1	D:\XY4\C\POST35N.PRN	PostScript via GoScript (35 fonts)
LPT1	D:\XY4\C\POST13.PRN	PostScript via GoScript (13 fonts)

Are you saying I should change all those LPT1's to simple 1's,
change PP:4 to PP:5, and add a line for the network printer? Then
what should the additional line be? The network printer is an
HP 4000, identified as HP4000TN@LAWLIB_Q1. I imagine my 2P driver
should work OK. So should the 5th line be:

1 D:\S\XY4\C\HPLJ-2P.PRN	HP4000TN@LAWLIB_Q1

Or what?

I've created a file called NETWORK5.PRG (using "5" to correspond to
the additional 5th line in the PP: table), which consists of the
following line:

BX dos/nv/x/z /c C:\SP4\I386\CAPTURE.EXE /l2/p0/ti=15Q2 ;*;

But when I run that program, I get a message that says the spooler
is already running. And when I print a file, it comes out of the
local printer.

Any additional thoughts would be appreciated.

Carl Distefano
CLDistefano@xxxxxxxx
http://users.datarealm.com/xywwweb/