RE: Xy4 & Network printer

To respond to Carl Distefano's post of Friday evening, my PP: table was the
following:

; Pick Printer Table:
PP:4
LPT1	W:.\HPLJ-4.PRN	Hewlett-Packard LaserJet 4
LPT2	W:.\HPLJ-3.PRN	Hewlett-Packard LaserJet III
1	W:.\HPDJ500.PRN	HP DeskJet 500
LPT1	W:.\STANDARD.PRN	STANDARD.PRN

There the first line was for the network printer closest to me, the second
for the other network printer, the third for the local printer attached to
the first parallel port on my computer, and the fourth was used for printing
to a file only. "W:" was the virtual drive for XyWrite 4's root directory
on the network (some users had to use the program file from the network, and
so I put all files into that directory rather than locally for ease of
administration).

The first line should be the printer you want loaded on startup; otherwise I
don't think the order is significant. The name of the printer (the
rightmost tab entry) is I think arbitrary and used for XyWrite's display of
which printer you've just loaded. What is significant for the network is
the leftmost number, which is the order of the spooler for the network
program (the first of which on my network had been printq_0". Thus you will
need to know which spooler HP4000TN@LAWLIB_Q1 prints from.

NETWORK5.PRG should probably be renamed to NETWORK1.PRG, because it affects
the first network printer in your list. My old NETWORK1.PRG file was:

[BC]do capture l=1 TI=15 q=PRINTQ_0 NoBanner NoFormFeed NoTabs [XC][BC]

My NETWORK2.PRG file was:

[BC]do capture l=2 TI=15 q=PRINTQ_1 NoBanner NoFormFeed NoTabs [XC][BC]

I note that among other differences your file doesn't start with a "do"
command and does not specify the queue for the spooler (q= . . .). My
recollection is that the need to specify the spooler was critical but not
particularly documented. Would these changes make a difference for you?

I could mail or fax you a copy of the relevant pages of the LAN
Administrator's Guide if you correspond privately with address information.

Regards,

Paul Ambos
pambos@xxxxxxxx