RE: Xy4 & Network printer

My Xy4.0 programs shipped with a "LAN Administrator's Guide" which is
invaluable in dealing with network printing issues.

Although I am some years away from my old Novell network, I note that it is
necessary to start the network printspooler before you can send a print job
to the network printer. You can do this before loading XyWrite if you will
only be printing to a network printer, or if you are also connected to a
local printer you can do it within XyWrite using the procedure outlined at
p. 3-14 of the LAN Administrator's Guide: You create a program file or
files in the XyWrite root directory named "network1.prg" (or if there is
more than one network printer also "network2.prg", etc.), with contents
along the lines of:

[BC]do z:\net\spool /l2/p0/ti=15[XC]

(where [BC] and [XC] are the usual F5 and F9 function calls, "z:\net\spool"
is the spooler command path (now I think the command is "capture") and the
rest of the command are the spooler arguments that may be necessary).

Also the printers must be listed in the PP (Pick Printer) listing in
settings.dfl, with "LPT1" at the beginning of the line for the network
printer ("LPT2", etc. for additional network printers) and only "1" at the
beginning of the line for local printer 1. In the PP table 1 refers to the
port number. The "1" in "network1.prg" corresponds not to the port number
but to the order in the PP table.

I think these are the basics. I recall doing some tinkering (particularly
with the timeout argument) before it all worked, but once in place it's a
gem. "Setp" will then control which printer to print to, and it worked
quite well.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Paul Ambos