Re: OS/2 & Cyrix

No comment on OS/2 (of which I have no experience) or Cyrix (of which I
have happily uneventful experience), let alone the combination thereof.
However, Harmon Seaver raises an eyebrow when he writes

>A top honcho
>at NEC just told me this week that RISC is the only possible route for
>any real speed increases, Intel is at a dead-end with the x86 chip.

I get the strong impression that one can find a top (let alone other)
honcho to spout just about anything one can think of (other perhaps than a
CP/M revival). Aren't such prognoses a matter of "What do we want to get
people excited about?" and "What competing enthusiasm do we want to
dilute?"? Further:

>NEC . . . might be soon marketing a sweet little NC
>machine in the $100-200 range, running Java-OS.

My own impression, formed from a desultory reading of much material
possibly influenced more by other honchos and less by knowledge or
rationality, was that, whatever its other actual or possible benefits,
Java-OS was a good way to s-l-o-w things down immensely.