XyWrite (Anent Msg# 10338)

 JJ> Here is some additional information with regard to the use of
 JJ> the loadable "U" files:

 JJ> Under XyWrite 4.0 for DOS, "U" files 1 - 4 are accessible by
 JJ> the user of the program. There has been some confusion
 JJ> regarding the use of such files, basically because docu-
 JJ> mentation is insufficient. Each of the "U" files was
 JJ> designed, although not exclusively, for a purpose. The U1 file
 JJ> is designed for the incorporation of user's routines.

 JJ> The U2 file was designed for Command Override, although it
 JJ> can also be used in a manner such as the U1 file. The
 JJ> Command Override feature, however, can only be configured
 JJ> in the U2 file. This feature is outlined on pages 1-3 of the
 JJ> Customization Guide.

 JJ> The U3 file was designed with the forethought of the XyWrite
 JJ> for Windows product; specifically, the buttons and Format Bar.
 JJ> It can also be used for user's routines as well. U5 through U9
 JJ> files were added to the Windows product as reserved for use by
 JJ> developers for other products being developed.

 JJ> The U4 file was designed to contain the help system for Ibib
 JJ> for XyWrite. It can be used for user's routine's as well. If Ibid is
 JJ> present, it is recommended to use U4 only for Ibid.

 JJ> The functions $0 - $9, and $A - $Z were not ported to XyWrite
 JJ> 4 to be used within "U" files, and accessed directly from key
 JJ> assignments as with III Plus. Around the time of the product
 JJ> release, many of the III Plus help file issues were not at the
 JJ> highest level of the development schedule. As a result, many of
 JJ> the help frame-types from III Plus failed to function under 4.0.
 JJ> Many of the issues were resolved with revision 4.016. This issue
 JJ> will be reported as a request, however we are not scheduling
 JJ> further development of the DOS-based product at this time
 JJ> due to current projects. We are processing priority-level bugs
 JJ> however. These include system crash problems.

 JJ> Although functionality cannot be accessed using the $ functions
 JJ> as with III Plus, the keyboard can be used to directly access
 JJ> features from the .DLG file or from U files, using the JM
 JJ> (Jump) function.

Thanks for your response, Jim. Nicely stated. To take last things first, I
think it's sad that TTG seems to have stopped development of XyWrite in all its
forms. XyDOS development halted long ago on the expressed ground that the
Windows product was the ineluctable path to the future. But TTG has been
adamant for over a year now about fixing BUGS ONLY in XyWin -- so, no real
"development" there either. This, despite the product having seen only ONE
single release, not counting the recent v4.12 bug squash more than two years
after debut (which still hasn't been mailed to me despite my telephone order
months ago, so I don't know what's going on there -- this is either the second
or third time that TTG has simply ignored an unequivocal order from me for
product!! -- are they nuts, or what?).

So: NoDevelopment+NoDevelopment leaves us . . . where? XyWrite is, after
all, your premier -- dare I say only? -- product.

I believe that XyWin needs more work. There are big holes, some obvious,
others subtle. One that's driven me crazy in recent weeks is trying to get
XyWin to print a big block of formatted Help text (imagine a small essay) via a
K-, C-, 8-, or ANY kind of frame. XyWin is completely incompatible in this
respect with Xy4/DOS. In fact, I think that a pop-up box with FORMATTED text,
e.g. text with FlushCenter or MoDe commands etc, cannot be done in XyWin. This
in a word processor that veritably thrives on pop-up boxes. Amazing, but true.

 . . . (continued next message)