Re: XyWin sounds

On 18 Jan 97 at 6:24, Harry Binswanger wrote:

>> At 06:32 PM 1/17/97 +0000, you wrote:

>> I have df eb=1 set

> Wrong setting. You have to set two variable--one for length and
> one for frequency of tone. I think the actual numbers vary with
> the computer's speed (not sure, though). I have in my
> startup.int: d eb=768,20000 You should experiment by issuing
> the d eb=x,y from your command line, then clearing it and
> hitting enter (to enter a null command). Then you can hear/not
> hear the beep.

Well, the XyWin manual says df eb=0 to turn off error beep, and
df eb=1 to turn it on (the default). Page 18-19, Default Settings
chapter. I agree with your comment to the extent that
df eb=tone,duration is how I had things set in XyIII+

Checking the Preferences menu for Error Beep, I have it checked
as On. Yet, nothing. The VA value for EB indeed reports
1792,36864 (default) and tinkering with that still yields no
results. I turned on beeps for Overstrike and for Speller. They
work (albeit the Windows default beep, ding.wav sound file). And
I can force a Windows default ding.wav sound when clicking the
mouse in the wrong place while a Xy menu window is open.
However, nothing I try is getting the customary error/message
beeps, such as hitting Enter on an empty or invalid command line.
The message window opens, an Exclamation mark message, and says

  " ! There is no command on command line. "

or

  " ! Command is not recognized. "

And so forth for various other error/messages (search: " ! Cannot
find item " or whatever). Error messages but no sound. I have
Windows set for, say, Exclamation errors to use my homer.wav
sound file (Homer Simpson, "D'oh!") and other sound files for
other kinds of messages, but nothing happens in XyWin (sound
messages work fine in my other Windows programs so I know it
works).

Out of curiosity, not preference, I reset the Windows sounds
to their default (which is simply the ding.wav sound for
everything, how boring) and tried XyWin but still nothing. Can't
get sounds to work in XyWin. (Insert bart.wav here, Bart Simpson:
"Oh, man.")

Bob

p.s. I have a nice .wav sound clip if anyone wants it from the
film YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN of Gene Wilder screaming, "You stupid
ignorant son-of-a-bitch dumb bastard! Jesus Christ I've met some
dumb bastards in my time but you outdo them all!" I put that one
on my secretary's machine for default error message but she
threatened to sue for mental stress so I switched it to a
flatulence sound effect. (She doesn't know how to turn it off or
force an error to convince someone waiting in the anteroom that
it's the computer. Sue me for mental stress. Why the flaming
impudence. That'll teach her.)

Anyway, if anyone is getting error sounds in XyWin (other than
Overstrike beep or Speller beep), I'd sure like to know your
setting(s).