XY4 beginner question

After reading all the encouragement recently, I have just re-installed
XY-4 and will try it out for real this time (last time I dumped it
after a day, because it seemed, well, icky). Now it is sitting here,
and I am trying to tweak the .dfl and .kbd files enough to make it
comfortable. First and immediate problem: How can I get the page number
and page line to display? I did put the "*pl*" in the .dfl file, but
all I get in the status line is a "78LI", which doesn't change no matter
where I am. Help?

-- Rene