XyWin sounds

In XyWin should I be hearing error/message beeps when a
respective message box appears; e.g., when issuing a bad command
on command line, or a search item not found message, and so
forth?

I have df eb=1 set (which is the default anyway and shouldn't
have to be set) but in either case, there are no message beeps.
Sound works because it beeps if I want when typing in overstrike
mode (which is a different setting than eb for enabling), or if
spelling error beep is turned on (also a different setting),
etc., so the sound is working. But the general messages
(Question mark and Exclamation messages) aren't sending a beep.
Might there be additional settings respectively that have to be
set as well as eb=1?

Of course, the sound is the Windows sound effects file(s). The
default beep is the Windows ding.wav sound file for standard
error beeps. You can use whatever sound effects you want (.wav
files) for different message/flags and events. This works fine
in other programs but nothing's happening in XyWin. E.g., a
sound effect for Question mark messages, a sound effect for
Exclamation mark messages, Asterisk messages, Critical Stop and
so on. Just tell Windows which .wav sound file to use for the
respective type of pop-up message. Works in my other Windows
programs but nothing happens in XyWin (not even the default
beep).

Suggestions?

Bob