Re: Re Xy on VISTA--sleep mode

Keyboard Scan Codes:

[. . . ]
Whenever I knew I had to make use of a particular
laptop for any extended period (which has been a rare
occurrence), if I wanted to use Xy without going
crazy, the first thing I had to do was use a scancode
utility to map out exactly how that laptop "saw" its
keyboard. It was a sure thing that several of my
longstanding Xy keyboard macros were going to require
a temporary reassignment.
That's quite amazing. I can't imagine what would lead a hardware maker to
depart from the scan codes for the *regular* keys--not "PgUp" and the like,
but the alphanumerics, ctrl, shift, and alt.
BTW, the U2 routine SCAN displays the scan code for any key you hit. (And,
in a brilliant touch, when you hit ESC to exit it, it tells you that ESC is
scan code: 1.)

Harry Binswanger
hb@xxxxxxxx