Re: CLIPW (Debugging, check list)

** Reply to message from Michael Norman  on Mon, 10 Jan
2005 08:56:00 -0500

Michael:

> >MSVBVM60.DLL in C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM (file dated 2/23/04)
>
>   ***** Had several copies of this file on the drive, including a copy in
> C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32. I put one in C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM. All copies dated
> 8/4/2004. NB: There is also a copy of a different file -- MSVBVM50.DLL --
> in C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32.

Put your one copy in C:\WINDOWS\system32. NOT in
C:\WINDOWS\system! C:\WINDOWS\system is for old Windows
v3.x drivers, and nothing else. It is there for compatibility
with 16-bit programs, and no other reason -- because 16-bit
programs tend to look for a directory with that name.
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM is not even in the PATH! I told you to put
the DLL at the top of the PATH. So why put it in a directory
that isn't even in the PATH?

Since this has nothing to do with video, it has nothing to do
with your problem.

I want you to paste the following commands EXACTLY as
written onto the XyWrite command line, and execute any (or all) of
them, individually, one at a time, in a Desktop XP window:

dos/nv/x/z /c cmd /c exit
 or
dos/nv/x/z /c cmd /c ver > $ver$.tmp
 or
dos/nv/x/z /c cmd /c mem.exe

Try them with the cursor on the CMline, and with the cursor
in text. What do you see? Do you see your so-called
"second cursor"? In the third instance (MEM.EXE), it may
appear where the memory screen stops printing to the screen.
In the first two instances, it may appear wherever your
current position is (CMline|Text).

Do you see it, or not? Is this what you've been talking
about?

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx