Re: Military time (whoops!)

David wrote,
it re-emerges (Patricia, do I need a hyphen there?)
You could use one, but you don't have to. This kind of
thing is governed, in publishing, by what is called
house style. There are various areas of spelling,
punctuation, capitalization, typography (use of itals),
and even grammar and usage where several patterns are
acceptable. The great thing is to be consistent within
a work or works. So a publication (encyclopedia,
journal, magazine, newspaper) or a publishing house
will adopt a house style: a set of patterns and rules
to be followed in such cases. With reference works and
journals, it's usually universal; with publishing
houses, it's usually a fall-back if an author has not
used a consistent style himself (few do).
Personally, I prefer to hyphenate such words, for
etymological reasons. A double e signals to me
"Anglo-Saxon root, probably inflected by ablaut of the
medial vowel" (as in foot, feet, goose, geese, saw,
seen). So if it's a word of Latin origins, I prefer to
keep the hyphen.

--
Patricia M. Godfrey
PriscaMG@xxxxxxxx