Re: Buying new computer - what operating systems will work with Xywrite

Wolfgang Bechstein wrote:
What on earth do you want 4 gigs of memory for then? Total overkill, if
you ask me.
He may have heard, as I have, that Vista will require 4 gigs
if you want to do anything.

Here's what my own experience seems to bear out:

Win98, intitial release: will run fine in 128 Mb.
Win 98 SE: needs at least 256 and 512 if you tend to open
more than one app at once.
W2K: 1 G optimum, at least 512 and separate VGA RAM
XP: 1 G minimum.

Note that a lot of low-end systems come with what is called
"on-board video." That means the VGA adaptor is not a
separate card, but circuitry/chips on the mobo. And it uses
some of the system memory. Bad idea. That's that much LESS
actual RAM your system has for use. (And I'm wondering if
any of these folks who find Xy slow on W2K might have such
systems?). NEVER buy a system that does not also have a slot
(AGP or PCIExpress) for a real VGA adaptor, and allow for
extra RAM if you don't put one in from the get-go.

Patricia M. Godfrey
priscamg@xxxxxxxx