Re: more help help help with u2 installation

** Reply to message from "Avrom Fischer"  on Fri, 24 Dec 2004
21:33:01 -0500

Avrom:

> Unfortunately, I have some very elementary questions before I can go any further

Unfortunately, I have some very bad news. I've been following your posts since
you came on board, and I believe that you need to do some real studying on your
own. I simply cannot spend the time to teach you how to run a computer, or how
to do elementary DOS tasks, etc etc etc. I haven't got the time OR energy. My
batteries are running low right now, after this burst of participation here,
which hopefully will end "real soon now".

> when I typed echo %path% I got a path which showed my windows directory on my
> d: drive. However when I called up a file called autoexec.bat

"a file called autoexec.bat"???!!! Come on, Avrom. That's the most essential
file in any old DOS system. *Where* have you been?

Type:
 echo %windir%
also
 echo %systemroot%
and
 echo %systemdrive%
What do they say? Try all of them. One or more may say nothing, but at least
one of them will respond. Try echo %comspec%. This is how you identify where
your Operating system is located.

But what _are_ "windir" and "comspec"?? XySearch and Google and Google Groups
are the places to start answering these kinds of questions. That's where I go
when I need to find out, or remember, facts or answer questions. Learn how to
use them. Struggle. Experiment. That's how to learn. If somebody just tells
you what to do, you'll do it by rote, say Thanks -- and promptly forget what
you did, *without ever having known* why you did it. I mean, you've been
computing for how long now? and you know next to nothing, it appears. You're
going to have to stay after class. Extra homework. So go to it, my friend.
You have some work ahead of you. Get comfortable with the DOS command line,
and DOS commands. It is easier said than done, but if you want to use XyWrite
(and that is a VERY serious question), then it verges on mandatory. A very
viable alternative for you (if for some reason you are wedded to the XyWrite
file format) would be Nota Bene for Windows, which has a good menuing system,
has a familiar Windows interface, and requires very little in the way of user
knowledge, but retains most of the power of XyWrite.

Best wishes,

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx