Re: XyIII Plus '[tilde]' Question

Reply to note from "L. Anderson"  Fri, 06 Nov 1998
22:15:53 -0800

-> The key [[tilde] `], just left of [! 1], is supposed to give a
-> '[tilde]' when [shift][[tilde] `] is entered, one would think.
-> However, in my XyIII+ under normal display, nothing is shown.
-> (What I am keying here obviously works so the key is
-> operative.) I must go into expanded display, [ctl][F9], to see
-> the character(s) '[tilde]' displayed.

The Ascii-126 tilde is the "soft" hyphen character, which in XyWrite
isn't visible except in eXPanded view. (The soft hyphen forces a
word to hyphenate where the tilde occurs, irrespective of what the
built-in algorithm or the hyphenation exception dictionary
prescribes.)

If you want a visible, printable tilde, you need to embed a 3-byte
tilde by holding down Ctrl-Alt-Shift and hitting 1-2-6.

In Xy4 you can set a different soft hyphen character -- in which
case the tilde becomes visible. Not so in Xy3.

Carl Distefano
CLDistefano@xxxxxxxx
http://users.datarealm.com/xywwweb/