Re: inappropriate posts

To a newcomer, this list must feel like stumbling into a faculty tea for the
physics department and finding that everyone is speaking elliptically and
making in-jokes about Jewish concubines.

Fact is, there's a small knot of folks on the list who've been part of the
XyWrite scene since the mid-'80s, and they've become friends. This list is a
meeting place. It's kinda fun to listen in on their conversations and
digressions (at least some of the time), and sometimes to chime in. I don't
have much experience, but I suspect there's a lot less flaming here than
elsewhere. The only things that make me uncomfortable are personal attacks
and the flaming of newcomers (at least those who don't richly deserve a
gentle tweak now and then for being too full of themselves or for making
Prounoucements).

Having relevant subject lines is definitely an improvement and a kindness.
I'll keep enjoying the spectrum of stuff on the list, XyRelevant or not, even
if I tend to skim some of it. Some of the technical stuff is as irrelevant to
me as the Jewish concubines -- some of it's just over my head, or just far
enough over my head that I don't have time or the immediate need to make the
reach. But I wouldn't miss at least skimming any of it.

Tim Baehr
tbaehr@xxxxxxxx