Re: XyWin Problems

Jeremy, you asked: "How come you got the upgrade? I've been told by the UK
distributor of XyWin that letterd versions (4.12G) are not generally available.
Perhaps this only applies to England."

I suspect that the answer to your question is that anyone can get the upgrade
who shouts loud enough and long enough. The three disks that arrived are
imprinted with company's name and marked, "Update 4.12G." Clearly, these disks
are intended for distribution. Perhaps you could address your question to
Kenneth Frank. I'd be curious to hear about the company's plans for future
releases of XyWin, including maintenance releases and upgrades to version 4, as
well as a major upgrade once Chicago (nee Windows 4.0) is released
commercially.

"Incidentally, has anyone heard of what NotaBene are up to? Anything since DOS
version 4 - are they going over to a Windows product too?"
I think there are several folks on this forum who can answer this question
better than I. All I know is that NotaBene is now owned by the NotaBene Corp.,
New York City. NB Corp. has no connection whatsoever to The Technology Group.

I know of no specific plans for a Windows version of N-B; however, every major
developer of PC-based products has to be looking to develop 32-bit graphical
versions of their programs, if for no other reason that to remain competitive
in the marketplace. However, smaller companies such as N-B likely are biding
their time until they can assess how Windows 4.0 is being received by their
user base. As TTG (as well as the belated WordPerfect Corp.) discovered, it's
no mean accomplishment to develop a Windows version of a full featured DOS
program.

Take care, Jeremy.

Paul