Re: OT question - Copernic Desktop Search

In a message dated 9/7/2007 4:13:41 PM Eastern Daylight Time, priscamg@xxxxxxxx writes:

this business of
its not finding files that are there? I've never had it happen in
a healthy system, but have heard reports thereof. Lynn, was there
any pattern to the files it couldn't find: did they or their
directories perhaps contain a character, such as &, legal in 9x
but not, really, in NT?

       I should have expressed myself more clearly. XP gives you the option of searching for a file either by its name, or by a phrase or words inside the file.  In my experience, it cannot do the latter.
       Win98, by contrast, does it instantly -- even if it is given just a few words.
       Yesterday, for example, I searched a directory and its subdirectories for every file containing one proper name. XP found none. Win98 searched the same directory and found 99 files.
       I seldom need to search for a file whose name I know. But I often need to search for a file whose contents I remember well enough to cite phrases or words.
       If XP can't identify files by phrases in the text, why does it offer that option?

See what's new at http://www.aol.com