Re: Fonts

At 2/4/2004 10:27 PM +0000, billtroop@xxxxxxxx wrote:
Unless you absolutely require a monospace font, I would stick with the Sans and the Mix.
Bill, I'm simply looking for a readable (all day) screen font to use in WIN apps, particularly Nota Bene. After several years of using Uwe Sieber's incredibly readable screen fonts (for Dos Boxes) (http://www.uwe-sieber.de/english.html), I wanted something that looked similar, or, at least, felt the same. de Groot's monospaced fonts, as they are represented at the FontShop site (http://www.fontshop.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=catalog.home&CFID=739917&CFTOKEN=2a626a89b29c2e55-0F76609A-D372-C2AC-F45ED1A0E6F10B94) seem as if they might be a good substitute for Sieber's. I know programmers like monospaced fonts so their columns line up. And I thought Sieber's kerning was monospaced, or, de Groot's monos looked like Sieber's. (This is so damn subjective.) But I bought Bitstream's Prima Sans (a sharper Verdana) and I can work in it. de Groot's Sans and Mix look even better to my untrained eye. All I was wondering was this: would it be easier on the eyes to stare at his monos all day or his plain Sans or Mix? The samples don't give you much of a sense.
Some of his fonts have very highly optimized hinting for the screen most particularly in the TT versions. I forget which ones but you can easily email him and find out if you consider that important (I don't and would always use the Postscript versions for any number of reasons).
Why Postscript? And many thanks for the other suggestions. I'll certainly take a look. Your posts are primers. michael.norman@xxxxxxxx