RE: Assistance: Xy manual?

) --- Joseph Fisher  wrote:
)
) > Does anyone have a digitized copy of XyQuest's
) > XyWrite 3+ "Reference
) > Guide"
)
) Joseph,
)
) Brian had begun the big, arduous project of scanning
) this looseleaf-bound manual and turning it into .PDF
) files, but (understandably) got bogged down at an
) early stage. You can find samples at his site,
) XyWrite.Com. Since _this_ manual is the voluminous,
) *comprehensive* one (notwithstanding the book-bound IV
) manuals, that should cover most of the version-4-only
) material), I think we should do everything possible to
) support and encourage this project on to completion.
) It would be of great value to whatever posterity this
) program may have.
)
)
) Jordan

Funny you should mention that (long stalled) project, Jordan...

I *just* was given (by a fellow list-member) a copy of what is purported to
be a decent OCR application (Omnipage Pro).

As I have said before, I'm cheap and all the free OCR apps did such a poor
job that I haven't been able to force myself to clean up (and tag) so much
badly transcribed material.

So, if this app works as well as I've heard...I guess I will no longer have
a (legitimate) excuse to put off producing an electronic Xy4 manual (damn!).
I'm just about to install it and see how it does.
_______________

BTW Joseph,

Even though I use Xy3, I usually refer to the Xy4 manual when I'm trying to
figure out how to do something I'm rusty at or not familiar with. At heart,
versions III and IV are not very different (although, I've never had much
use for the added bells and whistles of Xy4...so maybe I'm not a good
reference).

Anyway...there's a not terribly user-friendly version of the Xy4
Customization Guide (these are the advanced procedures, so it won't help
with the basics) online if you'd like to check it out:

http://www.xywrite.com/man/xy4/contents.htm

Brian H.