Associating file extensions w. XyWIN

Using Windows 3.1 and the file manager, it is possible to associate a given
file extension with a specific applications. e.g. *.txt files can be associated
with the windows notepad, and when you double click on the file in file manger,
notepad is activated with the clicked file opened and ready to read.

When I try to associate XYWIN (via xw.exe) to my letter text files (with the
.let extension) double clicking activates xywin (but I get a request to logon).
After I give my logon name (its something I don't have to do at all when I load
xywin via program manager) the file I want to edit is not open.

For several reasons I won't go into (involving other windows applications that
make use of the file manager associate function) I'd like to get Xywin to work
just like window write and the notepad do in this regard.

Any suggestions?

Allan Needell, Dept. of Space History, Nat'l Air & Space Museum
   Smithsonian Institution, MRC 311, Washington, DC 20560 i:
nassh100@xxxxxxxx; b: nassh100@sivm; CServe: 71461,1115
      tel 202/357-2828; fax 202/786-2947