FILE CONVERSIONS

XY->A couple years ago I found a program -- Word for Word --
 ->that handles conversions very nicely. And I've tried to keep
 ->up with its upgrades, now including a Windows version. This
 ->software comes in versions labeled "Word for Word for
 ->XyWrite", "Word for Word for Word Perfect", etc. You do
 ->need to let the vendor know which language you prefer as
 ->your base. (Maybe this has changed for the Windows version,
 ->called "Word for Word Professional." I've forgotten.)

XY->The conversions are very clean -- no extraneous characters,
 ->no hidden control characters, etc. The translated codes can
 ->be a little unexpected (maybe 'cause I haven't learned
 ->those commands yet), but they are all in the familar Xy3+
 ->deltas.

Hello, Laurie Gorton,

I've been tempted by the program, but what has put me off are the
versions of Word for Word used by a number of different programs,
such as Corel Ventura 5 and XyWrite.

For instance, in Ventura, at least one upper-ASCII character pops
out: the one for the fraction 3/4. In XyWrite 3.55, it becomes a
space; in XyWin it becomes an underscore.

Have you noticed anything similar in Word for Word itself?

--Chet Gottfried
---
 ? SLMR 2.1a ? Art + write + dtp = chet.gottfried@xxxxxxxx