Speed?

I absolutely agree that XY4 is faster than anything else on the
market, but it definitely is slower in loading, at least, than
XY3. That is understandable due to the size difference of the
executables, but there is also a text input slowdown that I
experience quite regularly, in XY4 that wasn't in XY3. It's more
of a bug, really, I suppose, when the keyboard acts like it is
locked all of a sudden, and then after a moment (of varying
length) the keystrokes you entered appear on the screen.
Signature was extraordinarily slow in loading, especially in DOS,
it was better when I switched to OS/2, and XY4 seemed to correct
some of that. One thing that is still glacially slow is the TREE
command. I finally quite loading that in my startup.int, because
it just took way too long. And is too clutzy to be really useful
anyway. If it didn't have to re-read the disk each time it would
be quicker -- it seems that even if you have a good sized disk
cache set, which makes other file and directory managers
instantaneous, the XY TREE doesn't use that, re-reading the whole
drive each time. And then it doesn't arrange the directories in
alphabetical order, so you have to hunt for the one you want.
Actually I just quite using that feature quite awhile ago, since
it's just easier to look at the files in the FM2 window, then
type in the cd command in the XY window. -- Harmon Seaver
hseaver@xxxxxxxx hseaver@xxxxxxxx
seaverh@xxxxxxxx harmon@xxxxxxxx

The fundamental delusion of humanity is that I am in here and you
are out there.