RE: Menus (not) in Xy4 To: xywrite

On Fri, 13 Oct 95 07:55 EDT kfrank@xxxxxxxx, kfrank@xxxxxxxx wrote:
>>>The current version of XW (4.12) doesn't provide an elegant
way to >use menus or keyboard shortcuts to open files. >
>Maybe I'm missing your point, but CTRL+O brings up the open file
 dialog box... >what were you suggesting?

Yes, it does bring up the Open File dialog box but that's it. You
 wind up staring at the list of files with no keyboard commands
that can be executed.

For example, it would be convenient to be able to press either
the up or down cursor key to fill in the field above the list of
files so that you can then open the file with the enter key.
Better yet, since the file at the top of the list is already
highlighted with the green background, I would like to only have
to press the enter key to open the file. (You can do this in the
File Finder function in Word).

If I hit the enter key after using Ctrl + O, I get a stupid
dialog box telling me to fill in the file name in the above
field. This forces me to go to the mouse and click the left
mouse button to enter the file name in the field above the list
of files. It is an unnecessary extra step that almost paralyzes
the right hand if you do this for an hour a day like I do.

The other VERY annoying thing about the Open File dialog box is
that you can not use the down cursor key to highlight another
file further down on the list so that it can be opened. When I
use my down cursor key, nothing happens. The highlighted
background just remains behind the first file in the list and
remains locked there. This doesn't make sense to me. I shouldn't
forced to go back to the mouse.

The only way to open file in the Open File dialog box is to click
 once on a file with the left mouse button (not the best way) to
make the name appear in the field box above the list. Then, you
have to move the mouse to the Open button or use the Enter key.
The latter is an unnecessary step. Why do we need a field box
above the list? Or, you can double click on a file name to open
it, but why do I have to double click when it would be easier
with a single click or better yet, use the Enter key.

If I were working on a single document all day, this would not be
a big deal, but I always download 50 to a 100 files a day from
various servers on the Internet and read them offline. I need a
more efficient way of opening files quickly by using the fewest
possible keystrokes without having to write a program to do it.
This should be built into XW's interface.

Date: 10/13/95
Time: 07:25:38
San Antonio, TX