Losing keyboard shortcuts with VDOS

I don't know if anybody else has experienced this but when I load VDOS
and the use Alt-Enter to give me the full screen version, I can no
longer use some of the keyboard shortcuts that I have set up to launch
desktop applications. This is under Windows 7 64 bit. The shortcuts
remain unavailable when VDOS is closed, but do reappear if I can find
one that does still work -- using one seems to revive the others. I
think Windows 7 can lose shortcuts and I have seem something previously
without VDOS but with VDOS this seems consistent and repeatable whereas
before I could pin down no cause. I also have Windows XP running in a
virtual machine and so far as I can see that is immune to this behaviour.
Just a thought, but does VDOS somehow grab the Alt key when that is
programmed to launch the full screen version, and if so can this be changed?

Paul