Manifest Destiny

  Thank you very much for that information. I tried waiting a bit
longer for Manifest to do its thing, but after 100 seconds I caved in
to my desire for instant gratification and pushed the reset button.
BUFFERS.COM does not work for me either.
  I will appreciate you advising me on any other notes you pick up on
that Desqview conference that may be of help.
  I did notice that with "Buffers=1" after a very slow trip through my
rather complex Autoexec.bat file that I had 355K of memory left with
XyWrite loaded. Changing to "Buffers=20" loaded a lot faster, and with
XyWrite loaded I have 355K of memory left. Identical. So I have no idea
of what is - or is not - happening there.
  I tried juggling and deleting some stuff in my CONFIG.SYS and
AUTOEXEC.BAT files and the closest I came to getting Manifest to run
was a message "Exception 13 at 35D0:1F51
 Error Code 0000"
But my docs have no reference at all to exception or error codes.
  I did have problems with a device driver for my 5 1/4" floppy drive,
which is run from a Compaticard. I called them, and they are sending me
a new driver N/C, which is very nice of them.
  So that is the total of my apparent problems with DOS 5.0. And since
I have gained at least 25K of usable low RAM I am satisfied so far. So
long!