Re: XyShell

** Reply to message from Paul Breeze  on Wed, 15
Jan 2003 17:10:07 GMT

> Your factory issue W2K may not have a C:\Windows, but I can assure you that mine does

OK, ok. It never entered my imagination, that's all. So you changed the
%SYSTEMROOT% [WINDIR] during installation? \WINNT is the default. It's akin
to making the WINDIR of 9x something other than \WINDOWS, or of OS/2 something
other than \OS2. Never heard of it. Some programs rely on those locations.
XyShell doesn't -- but some do.

I can't reproduce any of these "errors", because so far they all have been due
to your configuration and environment. Clearly, you go your own way in that
department (cf. underlined italics). Without the machine in front of me, I'm
wandering around in the dark. Surely there's a simple reason why COMMAND.COM
and CMD.EXE can't be found, but I can't fathom it. Maybe the comspecs in
XyWWWeb.REG are incorrect? (Indeed, in the copy you sent to me, you've
*commented out* the Comspec_W2K spec, instead of editing it to reflect your
correct C:\WINDOWS... path.) Also make sure you don't have more than one REG
file lying around; the Path is searched for REG, and the first one found is the
one used (it should be in Editor's dir -- and Editor's dir *is* in the
environment's Path, right? what I originally asked you to do was to redirect
the output of the SET command to ENVRNMNT.TMP, i.e. "SET >ENVRNMNT.TMP", and
send me that result file -- you responded that you tried to _run_ ENVRNMNT.TMP
but nothing happened. That file would describe your environment, and would
preclude questions about WINDIR, COMSPEC, etc etc).

Also, I believe you've suggested (when you said that "there are separate [Xy4]
installations on separate drives at present") that both W98 and W2K are
installed on the same machine -- is that correct? Both comspecs on "C:". Dumb
question: they aren't both installed on the same C: drive, or in the same
%WINDIR% -- are they? How do you have coexistence set up, anyway? Remapped
the drives or something?

As far as 36 lines is concerned, if you set the default PIFs for CMD.EXE and
COMMAND.COM to 36 lines, and you set the XyWrite properties to 36 lines, and
indicate (when given the choice, on exit from Properties) that you want all
other sessions to display the same behavior, then you're going to get 36 lines
everywhere, all the time (assuming you're using fonts that support it). You
should see your changes reflected in the Registry, IIRC at Current User\Console.

Did you get your underlined italics, at least?

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx