Re: XyShell

Dear Robert,

Your factory issue W2K may not have a C:\Windows, but I can assure you that mine does, and that, so
far as I can see and -- I have double checked -- all the relevant entries in XYWWWEB.REG point to
command.com and CMD.EXE under win98se and W2K. Everything has been relaunched and reinitialised,
umpteen times. I still get the same result, under both W2K and w98se. When I try to use sw it get
the - process *".../Command.com*"; or process "*.../cmd.exe*" not found -
message.

To test that they were actually working I commanded "do c:\command.com" and "do start

c:\command.com" from the XY4 command line under win98se. the first shelled out to dos while
the
second opened a new DOS window with a command prompt.

I carried out similar tests under W2K with the same results.

(As to why I tried DOSONLY under W2K, I would like XY to function under W2K in a fashion that makes
it possible for me to use it for my work. At present I cannot use it in a DOS window, my preferred
mode of operation, and am struggling towards a setup that might be useable in full screen mode.
The problem is one of screen font legibility and the amount of text I can get on screen. With my
current LCD monitor a 25 line display is far too large for comfort so I need to be able to operate
with a smaller font and more lines. 36 lines in a DOS box is perfect in w98se but unusable under
W2k. In order to achieve this I will try changing any settings that might affect the performance
of XY, and DOSONLY was one of those. It made no difference, but then I forgot to switch it back
before trying XYShell. Others might find reasons to set it and then encounter the same problem, so
I would have thought it a useful addition to the database of experiences.)

Under Win98se, clearing SV652 and then commanding GetXyOS returns W98 to SV652.

Under W2K, clearing SV652 and then commanding GetXyOs returns W2K to SV652.

Regarding 50 lines under W2K. I have set up xy4 to display 36 lines of text in full screen mode.
When I use
the 'shell to DOS' key I switch to a full screen DOS with a smaller type size than the one I am
using in XY4. When I exit and switch back, by 36 line display has changed to a 25 line display. I
get exactly the same result if I command "do start c:\windows\system32\cmd.exe" at the
command
line, exit the dos window and switch back to XY.
SW appears to shell to dos, in the same way that "do c:\windows\system32\cmd.exe" does from
teh XY4 command line. When I exit, back to XY, I have lost 11 lines from the bottom of the screen
(now the display is showing 25 instead of 36).

It is interesting that if I command "DOS" from the command line of XY4 and shell out to
DOS I am
given a 25 line display but in my smaller font size so that the remaining 11 lines of the windows
are still visible at the bottom of the screen. Under these circumstances when I exit back to DOS
the correct 36 line display is preserved.

Also, if with XY4 open I then open a DOS window in the normal way by selecting it from my menu,
when I close it and return to XY4 it has not been affected.

Best wishes

Paul