IS XW A DO

AD-> ============================= adpFisher  nyc:
AD-> < Chet: Wouldn't simply posting the code--if it exists--be more useful?
 -> "Inside wild" or "outside wild," e.g., sound to me like poker terms;
 -> I haven't a clue what they mean in xpl.     --a

Your charming "if it exists" is sufficient not to post it.

Eight years ago, when I had written those XPLs, they were very
useful, but considering that wild changes are normal to 4, the
XPL is only an excerise.

As I've said, just build a compound search; I divided it into
three parts (but other ways are certainly possible), so if you
gather information from the command line as three statements

abc   def  ghi

and search for it as one unit; then seb to the  def  section;
delete it and insert what you wish. Then go to the end of
ghi    and begin again.

The parts   abc & ghi   can be anything legitimate in 3.5,
including wild characters or text characters. So I called it,
for my own reference, an outside wild, since both outer parts of
the expression are "wild."

In an inside wild, the outer parts are the ones that are changed;
the center expression is the wild statement, which can consist
of anything.

The various change patterns, per XPL, are the standard search
ones: general, exact, invisible, or invisible-exact.

--Chet

---
 þ SLMR 2.1a þ chet@xxxxxxxx     http://www.asb.com/usr/chet/