Compatible older laptops

My laptop is dead or dying and will have to be replaced with a similar
refurbed older model. (P I or II, early version of Win 9x). Does anyone
remember from those days which makes and models did or did not have
problems with Xy? I'm particularly concerned with display: has to run at
600 X 800 and give me a decent, sharp Xy screen in a DOS box in Windows.
Would also like error beeps, but that seems to be a gamble. Any
recommendations of good dealers in refurbs would also be welcome. TIA
Patricia