retaining 3+ formatting during printing

I'm sure there's an easy answer to this. When I give my 3+ files to
publishers that have 4.0, their printouts override my formatting (left
margin too wide, footnotes appear on a subsequent page, etc.). I've tried
giving them a copy of my printer file, but it doesn't seem to help. Is
there anything I can do so that my files will print out as they do on my
printer? Or what instructions should I give the publisher? (I'm not
familiar with 4.0 and their tech people aren't familiar with XyWrite in any
version; it's installed only to accommodate their freelance copyeditors who
use it). I'd rather not have to switch to 4.0 as a solution.

Thanks,
Alison