Re: XyWrites 4 and 5 (was: RE: Dataviz and xyW)

On Fri, 9 Apr 1999, Richard Giering wrote:

> Thanks:
>  Thats basically whit I do now. The only problem
> occurs when I'm working in "PRE" mode. It is
> extremely difficult to code as it is to look in
> the browser when the tags are present. I have
> found the only way, I currently have found, is to
> have a non-taged version and a taged version. I
> edit the non-tagged version until it is correct.
> The using XPL macros, I enter the tags and, if
> I've done it right, the view remains unchanged.
>  BTW, I have a significant number of XPL macros
> that I use and I am currently developing another
> (this one will be used after a link (to a
> destination in WITHIN another file) in one file to
> bring the destination file into another XWRite
> windo, get the destination location and insert the
> A NAME tage). Currently the more complex XPL
> macros deal with converting from the response to a
> form into my worksheet, ready for the web site.
>  Since my macros are highly stylized to my web
> site design, I have hesitated to offer them out
> especially the ones that deal with my unique
> forms. However, I will gladly offer them if
> anyone wants them
> Dick Giering

Dick,
	Best suggestion is to use *lots* of whitespace--carriage
returns, indenting, etc. in your markup. It won't have any effect on the
rendering by the browser, but it makes editing much easier (I might even
say possible--who can make sense of stuff that's run together and full
of tags?) And if you have lots of tags in a PRE section, set your Xy
textwidth to very wide so it won't wrap.

	The other suggestion is to get an editor that has tons of clip
libraries for inserting different types of tags. NoteTab Pro is the best
I've seen, and registering the shareware is now a whopping $19.95 I
think (used to be $10). Its website hosts uploaded clibbook libraries
from users who share their creations, and while this means a fair amount
of redundancy, it's easy to select those you like and modify them to add
your own tagging favorites. Nothing like XPL--anyone can do it. And the
display of your file as you edit allows you to set color preferences to
set off different type of markup--tags, URLs, comments, etc. can each
have a different color of your choice. For more (and a one-month trial
version), see

	http://www.notetab.com/ntp.htm

Any of the shareware repositories will have other html text editors
listed, but this one really stands out, in my view.

	Dorothy

*****
Dorothy Day
Indiana University
day@xxxxxxxx
*****
	"He also surfs who only sits and waits."