Re: a few XyWrite kindergarten questions

Thank you, Carl.

> I don't understand what you mean by "edit some macros". Could you
> be more specific?

I mean to edit a save/get file. When I do this in XyWin (by using the
"menu" tool "Macro Options") a message comes up that says "access
denied."
It will allow me to edit a save/get temporarily but not permanently...and I
receive a message telling me that it cannot change the XYSET.DFL file. I
will do as you suggest and make sure it is not set as "read only." This
could be a definite possibility with all of the computer hopping I've been
doing lately.

> Whatever the problem, it's not, as someone suggested, that XWSET.DFL
> is not editable. .DFL files are ;PR;inter files, which are freely
> editable even while memory-resident (because what's actually memory-
> resident after loading is *information* taken from the file, not the
> file itself; the loading process doesn't "lock" the file). The only
> customization files that aren't freely editable after loading are
> Help files (.HLP, .MNU, .DLG, and .U1-.U9); this is related to the
> fact that loading these files generates an index that is appended to
> the loaded file. When you try to edit and SAve one of these files
> after loading it, you get a "Sharing violation" error, not "Access
> denied".

Nice Xy3 101 lesson. Thanks.

> To begin with, you're making your life needlessly hard by using
> additive MoDes in XyWin. For boldface, use  instead of
> ; for italics, use  instead of . Of course,
>  still won't be recognized in Xy3, but at least your
> boldfacing will be cross-compatible.

I don't add the "+" in "MD+BO" manually. It is automatically set that way
when I "ctrl-B" in XyWin. I guess there is no work around for that unless I
enter the mode by F5ing it.

> Since MoDe IT is unknown to Xy3, you'd have to modify your XyWin
> printer file so that MoDe BR displays as italics. The feasibility
> of such a modification may depend on your UWF command (default $WF),
> i.e., whether you're using Windows or XyWrite to print in XyWin. If
> you're using XyWrite, then it should be possible to modify the
> printer file. In a nutshell, the procedure would be to add a
> definition for ITALIC to the ATtribute table and then assign that
> attribute to MoDe BR in the PT table. The definition of italics is
> printer-specific.

I don't need to print in XyWin as the work I do is printed through the said
computer located 2,000 miles away in San Francisco. I am only concerned
about seeing italics on the screen, but want to save the person on the other
end the extra step of having to change "MDIT" to "MDBR." "MDBR" looks
like
underlining on my screen and I will try to work with the printer file.

Thank you again for Lessons 101.

Mimi Gauthier LeBien