Re: a few XyWrite kindergarten questions

At 7:53 Uhr -0800 15.01.2002, Mimi Gauthier LeBien wrote:

>I mean to edit a save/get file. When I do this in XyWin (by using the
>"menu" tool "Macro Options") a message comes up that says "access denied."
>It will allow me to edit a save/get temporarily but not permanently...and I
>receive a message telling me that it cannot change the XYSET.DFL file. I
>will do as you suggest and make sure it is not set as "read only." This
>could be a definite possibility with all of the computer hopping I've been
>doing lately.

Must be. When I used XY-Win, I edited the .DFL file all the time. Never was
told it was read-only.

>> Help files (.HLP, .MNU, .DLG, and .U1-.U9); this is related to the
>> fact that loading these files generates an index that is appended to
>> the loaded file. When you try to edit and SAve one of these files
>> after loading it, you get a "Sharing violation" error, not "Access
>> denied".
>Nice Xy3 101 lesson. Thanks.

No, the "sharing violation" is purely a XY-Win, err, feature.

>I don't add the "+" in "MD+BO" manually. It is automatically set that way
>when I "ctrl-B" in XyWin. I guess there is no work around for that unless I
>enter the mode by F5ing it.

Why don´t you look in your keyboard file and see what Ctrl+B is defined at?
I see no reason why you cant replace it with a simple MDBO.

>I don't need to print in XyWin as the work I do is printed through the said
>computer located 2,000 miles away in San Francisco. I am only concerned
>about seeing italics on the screen, but want to save the person on the other
>end the extra step of having to change "MDIT" to "MDBR." "MDBR" looks like
>underlining on my screen and I will try to work with the printer file.

How about a simple search/replace macro that you run before sending the
file off?

-- Rene von Rentzell, Tokyo (rrr @ twics.com)