Re: Running XY-Write under DOS vs. Windows (adding DOS 7).

pjd writes
>btw: I find IBM's Dos 6.3 (above) to be more stable and smooth than
>MS 6.22. IBM also went to DOS 7 but I never tried it.

  Yup. And I bought PC DOS 7 as soon as it came out. Had a curious
experience with it as the native OS. For some reason, DesqView didn't
like DOS 7. Some operations--xcopy was the main culprit, as I recall--
would take forever in a DesqView DOS window. So I went back to 6.3...
until I switched to OS/2. Also use dos7 with WinNT when I'm forced to
run some Win-specific app.
  Works great.
  It's been so long since I've used 6.3 or 6.22 that I can't recall
details of the comparisons I ran, but in a couple situations dos7 was
human-noticeably faster.
  fwiw, I launch XyDOS (versions 4.018, 3.58, & 3.55) under DesqView,
in both OS/2 and NT4. DesqView is =still= good for multitasking with
DOS apps (Lotus Magellan, American Heritage DOS, etc.)--altho under
NT, I haven't been able to tweak DV's memory settings to accommodate
more than two windows with Xy4, or three with Xy3.55, even with 128MB
of DRAM.
  -otis
Business Week